I went through my old patterned paper and picked out Valentine looking ones for these bookmarks. I suppose it is time to let go of those papers I was saving for a special occasion. :P Those must be at least 6 years old! I don't think my staff will care though.
I promised myself that I would step out of the cooking box this year. I am tired of my usual recipes and I have been making my way through Paula Deen's repertoire. This usually means lots of buttah and heart attacks. I like my husband today, so I decided to try a hearty, healthy chicken tortilla soup recipe that I found online on allrecipes.com. Yummy!
Here's the delicious recipe:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup whole corn kernels, cooked
- 1 cup white hominy
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
- crushed tortilla chips
- sliced avocado
- shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- chopped green onions
- In a medium stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Stir in chili powder, oregano, tomatoes, broth, and water. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in corn, hominy, chiles, beans, cilantro, and chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Ladle soup into individual serving bowls, and top with crushed tortilla chips, avocado slices, cheese, and chopped green onion.
Happy New Year, friends! I spent New Year's Eve in bed trying to recover from allergies/sinus infection/feeling like crap. So instead of us ringing in the new year with champagne, I did it with Robitussin and antibiotics. Sigh.
I am trying to come up with resolutions this year that I will actually do. So maybe the time has come for me to quit the resolutions. All it does is depress me when I forget to get on that darn treadmill or when I keep eating those evil carbs or when I beat the children. Yes, resolutions are just reminders that last year sucked. And that in addition to being sick today, I am also on my period and want to kill my husband. For breathing.
P.S. I'll try not to be so scary in my next post.